Thank you for contacting us at Muse Customer Care!
I’m sorry to hear you have been encountering problems with connecting your Muse. For troubleshooting purposes, please ensure both your Muse and device have enough battery charge to successfully complete a session and please ensure your “Location Services” are enabled and set to improved/high accuracy (this is required for Android devices).
With the Muse 2 you do not need to manually pair the headband through your device's Bluetooth settings. Instead, the Muse app will connect to the headband directly. To connect the Muse to your phone or tablet and start your first meditation session, please follow the steps below:
If you are using wireless Bluetooth headphones or Apple AirPods for your Muse sessions, it is important you pair the headphones first before starting a Muse session and connecting the Muse headband to the Muse application.
The Muse cannot be paired or used while it is plugged in and charging. It is also important to have the phone or tablet you Muse with kept in close proximity to the right of you, as it may also help improve Bluetooth connectivity.
After ensuring your Muse and device are charged and your Location Service are enabled please follow the steps below:
1. Force quit the Muse app (it may be helpful to force quit all of your open apps)
- On an Android phone or tablet, go to Settings > Apps > Muse > Force Stop.
- On an iOS (Apple) phone or tablet, double-click the Home button to bring up a list of recently-used apps. Scroll through to find Muse and swipe up on the preview to quit the app. (It may be best to force quit all open apps).
2. Turn Bluetooth off for 60 seconds and then turn it back on.
- Go to Settings > Bluetooth > Off/On
3. Turn on your headband by pressing the power button once. The LED lights should go into a cascading motion up and down.
4. Open the Muse app on your phone or tablet. On the "Meditate" screen, please go to Mind Mediation (Purple Brain icon)
*Please note if your screen displays “Timer,” that this is a “no headband” session where you do not connect to Muse.
5. Then tap the circle or headband icon in the top left corner of your screen.
6. Click "Next" on the "Add Muse Device" screen. Then wait for the last four characters of your Muse serial number to appear on the "Connect Muse Device" screen. Tap on it to connect.
7. Place the headband on your head, ensure the volume is turned up and tap "Start Session".
If it doesn't seem to be working, try force closing all applications and then restarting your phone or tablet. Thereafter turn off your Muse headband and start the above process again.
If you are still having Bluetooth issues, please enable Bluetooth and try a session in “Airplane Mode” (which temporarily disconnects you from wifi and cellular data) and advise if you are able to connect. If you are successful and able to complete meditation session while in Airplane Mode, after your completion of your session please turn off Airplane Mode to reconnect to wifi or cellular data. Please ensure you then reopen the Muse app when connected, to ensure your session data syncs to our servers. This will ensure your streaks, awards and challenges are maintained.
Please let us know if your connection issues continue despite trying the above steps, or if you have any questions and we will be happy to investigate further.